THE MUSING OF A PHARMACIST I


As a community pharmacist, I see a lot of 'error free' prescriptions and 'not so good' prescriptions. If all things are equal, medicines are grouped into prescription only medicines POMs and over the counter medicines OTC in Nigeria. In simple term, POMS are to be sold with a physicians prescription and OTC can be bought by a patient without seeing a doctor. Unfortunately that isn't the norm here (not good). People work into a pharmacy or perhaps a chemist and buy POMs with no restrictions.
Oh well, try and stop them or even refuse to dispense to them, then get ready to be out of business in 2 or 3 months.  As for me, I have set my own rules, I don't ever dispense Opioids and sedatives without a physicians prescription no matter the pressure. If you are not happy with it, it's your choice. On such occasions,  I try to explain to the patients the implications of taking these medicines because you like them or without a physician telling you to take them, it can lead to addictions, dependence, worst case respiratory depression and death.while some readily take my advice and go for better non-addictive alternative,  some after prolonged discussions and some don't. These last sets of people continue their search from one medicine dealer to another until they are successful.

Antibiotics are already included in my personal 'drug restrictions list' as they are also constantly being misused as well. like opioids and sedatives, I know I will face long battle with customers /patients with this one but I am just being me,  a pharmacist.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

NOT A TYPICAL DAY AT THE PHARMACY

THE MUSING OF A PHARMACIST II

‘Are all these medicines necessary? A case for deprescribing in the elderly.