NOT A TYPICAL DAY AT THE PHARMACY




Pharmacy school can be tasking as well as boring. While I was a pharmacy student, I lived a circular life ; hostel, class, library then back to hostel. I could almost predict my next day activity. Similarly,  as a Pharmacist,  my work can be monotonous at times except for some unexpected days. Well, don't get me wrong, I am not complaining, I love my profession as a Pharmacist and would chose Pharmacy over and over again. Just that some days can be unpredictable

Last week Thursday was one of such 'untypical' days. As I alighted from the taxi just a few metres from the Pharmacy ( I always stop before The Pharmacy so I can walk some distance as form of light exercise),  I noticed a small crowd in front the pharmacy. My heart skipped a beat as I wondered what could have caused that. Many scenarios  flashed through my mind , could it be a fight , an accident or worse still a mob waiting for me to come . Well,  I increased my walking pace and I realised my hands were shaking . 

On reaching the crowd , I tried to wiggle my way to the front of the pharmacy and then I saw a woman holding a girl and screaming . The girl should be about 15 or 16 years old and looked pale . On closer examination , I realised the child was gasping for air and clutching her chest while the crowd surrounded them and watched . What insanity? Call the ambulance, I screamed but then I remembered where I was ( such facility does not exist ) .  I could hear her mum saying this started when she ate some peanuts bought by her uncle the previous day and that he had poisoned her . 
I quickly grabbed the epipen in my bag - thank God I always carry that in my handbag for my personal use. I quickly opened the orange cap and injected a dose into her thigh while at the same praying silently that this works. 

Three minutes later , the girl’s breath returned to normal and she opened her eyes. She looked around in bewilderment at the crowd possibly wandering why there was such a gathering . Her mother was filled with joy as she jumped around while thanking me repeatedly . I explained to the mother that this was serious reaction to the peanut eaten by her daughter and not necessarily a poison given to her by the uncle.  Also, I advised her to take her child to the nearest clinic to see a doctor.  I was very happy and deeply relieved as I quickly walked into my pharmacy wondering what could have happened if there was no adrenaline available . 

What a way to start the day ! 




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

THE MUSING OF A PHARMACIST II

‘Are all these medicines necessary? A case for deprescribing in the elderly.