THE MUSING OF A PHARMACIST II




I was in a sour mood as I walked into my office at the Pharmacy this morning. To be honest, I could not exactly pinpoint why I was not happy, maybe because I didn't get enough sleep the previous night or I missed my usual early morning bus. Well, some days are just like this.

Immediately, I sat down in my office, Janet, the pharmacist technician walked in to announce that Mr.Kenneth wants to see me.
Oh God! It seems today really will be a bad day. Mr. Kenneth is one of our patients who refills his anti-diabetic medicine with us. The last time,  we spoke,  it didn't end so well. That was three weeks ago when Mr. Kenneth vehemently refused to take his medications even with his FBS value at 12mmol/L and after series of counselling. He claimed he had gotten a herbal medicine from the village which will treat the diabetes and therefore do not need his refills.

While pondering on the last encounter with Mr.Kenneth, he walked into my office.  Mr. Kenneth looked unhappy, pale and could barely walk. He handed his prescription paper for a refill and confessed that the herbal medicine was a sham and did not work. His FBS has gone up by 2mmol/L since our last meeting. Fortunately, his blood pressure was normal. I quickly advised him on the importance of adhering to his medicine, regular medical checkup and the need for diet and lifestyle modifications such as 'more fruits and vegetables,  less sweetened beverages'. I promised to check up on him via telephone call in two weeks and he was satisfied and went home happy.

Now, that I think of it, my day was not bad after all. I am happy anytime my patient is satisfied.  ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

NOT A TYPICAL DAY AT THE PHARMACY

‘Are all these medicines necessary? A case for deprescribing in the elderly.