The musing of a Pharmacist III



Yesterday was very hectic at the pharmacy, we had lots of prescriptions and refills to dispense. I was exhausted and as soon as it was closing hour,  I zoomed off. Thankfully, the evening shift Pharmacist came early.

So, today I was not expecting much prescriptions as most of our regular patients had come yesterday. And it happened exactly as I had thought, just a small number of patients and customers came in. A little boring,  I must say. 

It was almost 5pm (about 30 minutes to 5pm), my closing time and I was already getting ready to go home when a young girl walked in and demanded to see the Pharmacist. She would not be more than 20 years old.

I ushered her into the Pharmacist consulting room. "What can I do for you? " I asked her.  I need Ampiclox (fixed dose combo of ampicillin and cloxacillin) to flush out 'sperm'. I was confused and speechless for half a second before I regained composure.  Who told you Ampiclox is used to flush sperm after sexual intercourse.?  I asked again. She said it was her classmate.
I spent about 30 minutes counselling and changing her perspective on that. One of the key things I told her was that Ampiclox is an antibiotics and can NEVER be used to flush out sperm. I counselled her on the use of OCPs (oral contraceptive pills), condoms and most importantly abstinence to prevent pregnancy and the spread of sexual diseases. It was a long discussion and at the end it was worthwhile. we learnt something new today and at the end she had a change of attitude and perception.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

NOT A TYPICAL DAY AT THE PHARMACY

THE MUSING OF A PHARMACIST II

‘Are all these medicines necessary? A case for deprescribing in the elderly.